Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Seeking The Stroke

There is one thing that makes or breaks a billiard player. It is the ability, or inability, to develop a sound working cuestick stroke. It may sound simple to the bystanders who watch the game of billiards or pool, but truth be told, it is as complex as any other physical motion that any athlete would use to accomplish an intended goal. Whether it is a quarterback throwing a touchdown, a ball player trying to hit a home run or even a base hit, a golfer trying to hit a small white ball in the air, or in a hole four inches wide. All achievers have one thing they all work on. It is called concentration and rhythm in the motion that is being utilized. It is the pursuit of perfection that drives the performers above and beyond the norm.

I have to keep changing the date on this post because I want it to remain as the first post.

6 comments:

  1. When is a stroke not a stroke.....
    when it's a poke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Let me know when you post new content. I love some good billiards talk.

    Ted Mauro

    http://pool-billiards-game.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeking perfection. Sometimes I think it would be nice to just achieve it and move on to something more enjoyable. Then again what else is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jim,

    We are in Frisco Colorado spending the week in a condo. The Jets kicked it in gear today. There is a pool table here and we are about to get after it now. This is the first tie our family is spending Thanksgiving away from Pueblo. Close family, Billiards and a few beers. Life doesn't get better that this.

    Happy thanksgiving to You and Yours.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jim,
    Nice pictures. Pictures have a way of making a blog come to life. How is the pool game treating you? Last night I had a win on my first game with safety play, a break and run on the second game, and then I lost 3 games in a row. One of them was against a good player and he kept me kicking at balls. The other 2 games should have been mine. I felt like the billiards Santa Clause.

    Have a happy holiday season if I don't talk with you before they are over.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted - agreed, pictures - it's always nice to put a face to the name!

    As far as developing the stroke goes - I consider that one of the most important parts of learning. Once you master a good solid "standard" stroke, you'll have a much easier (and quicker) time of learning the more advanced principles such as the application of spin, and proper banking.

    Unfortunately, genetics plays a big part. The person who is "shaky" (ie: can't hold a steady hand in front of himself/herself) will have a much harder time. Being in good shape helps. I'm probably the only guy in my gym thinking about how those bicep curls will strengthen my shooting arm. :)

    ReplyDelete